cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Mike Tutkowski <mike.tutkow...@solidfire.com>
Subject Re: [QUESTION] How is snapshot size counted in secondary storage?
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2014 05:47:25 GMT
I guess I would expect the non-zero blocks of your disk to be backed up the
first time, which could lead to anywhere from some small amount of space
all the way up to 8 GB (in your situation).

However, you mentioned that you see 9 GB consumed, which does seem
unexpected.

When you say your template is 8 GB, I assume that's its physical size (and
the root disk's virtual size could be larger).

If that's the case, I would expect 8 GB to be backed up for the first
snapshot.

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 10:39 PM, Gaurav Aradhye <gaurav.aradhye@clogeny.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Mike!
>
> However, I am observing this in case of first snapshot also. Let me try on
> various hypervisors to see the behavior.
>
> Regards,
> Gaurav
>
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Mike Tutkowski <
> mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm not exactly sure how this number is calculated, but - if you are
> using
> > XenServer - remember that after the first snapshot for a volume, each
> > subsequent snapshot is only the blocks that have changed since the prior
> > snapshot (this might even be true for ESX these days with CloudStack).
> >
> > That being the case, unless you change all 8 GB of blocks each time
> before
> > doing a snapshot, you should expect your snapshots to be < 8 GB
> > (potentially very small, if you didn't change much since the last
> > snapshot).
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 10:15 PM, Gaurav Aradhye <
> > gaurav.aradhye@clogeny.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > When I create a snapshot, from say, template registered through an
> > account,
> > > then
> > >
> > > 1) How can I know the snapshot size on secondary storage? (API
> > > listSnapshots does not specify the snapshot size)
> > >
> > > 2) How is snapshot size counted in secondary storage used by the
> account?
> > > Currently I can see secondary storage count increasing by the (number
> of
> > > snapshots) and not the snapshot size.
> > >
> > > E.g. I have template sized 8 GB. I create a snapshot from it. Now if I
> > list
> > > the secondary storage used by the account, then it lists as "9" (GB).
> If
> > I
> > > create another snapshot, then it lists it as 10. It is not possible for
> > my
> > > snapshot size to be 1 (GB) because it's created from root volume having
> > > size 8 GB.
> > >
> > > Can I say it's a bug? Secondary storage count being listed as (Storage
> > > other than snapshot + number of snapshots) GB.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Gaurav
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > *Mike Tutkowski*
> > *Senior CloudStack Developer, SolidFire Inc.*
> > e: mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com
> > o: 303.746.7302
> > Advancing the way the world uses the cloud
> > <http://solidfire.com/solution/overview/?video=play>*™*
> >
>



-- 
*Mike Tutkowski*
*Senior CloudStack Developer, SolidFire Inc.*
e: mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com
o: 303.746.7302
Advancing the way the world uses the cloud
<http://solidfire.com/solution/overview/?video=play>*™*

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message