cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Turner <Stephen.Tur...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Simplify CloudMonkey's branching/maintenance process
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2014 18:07:02 GMT
+1 as long as CloudMonkey remains backwards compatible with older CloudStack releases, so that
we don't have to preserve old monkeys to talk to old stacks.

--
Stephen Turner

-----Original Message-----
From: Rohit Yadav [mailto:rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com]
Sent: 09 December 2014 13:26
To: dev
Subject: [VOTE] Simplify CloudMonkey's branching/maintenance process

Hi,

CloudMonkey's git repo history is mostly linear and the work on master is simply getting synced
on 5.3 branch. I want to ask the community if anyone has any objections on just keeping master
as the working branch and have branches when they are needed (say documentation, feature work
etc) and once they are merged they can be removed. We have git tags to identify past release
so is it also alright with everyone to remove the support branches such as 5.3/5.2 etc.

This way we will have:
- one main working branch (master)
- branch based workflow: feature branches for doing feature work, pull requests or reviewboard
for bugfixes for non-committers
- master is aimed to remain stable
- master will have its own TravisCI and tests (in upcoming weeks)
- CloudMonkey aims for progressive/rolling releases that are backward compatible with older
releases and have clean upgrades

For this please vote with your comments/suggestions;

+1  approve
+0  no opinion
-1  disapprove (and reason why)

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 8826230892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
Blog: bhaisaab.org | Twitter: @_bhaisaab PS. If you see any footer below, I did not add it
:) Find out more about ShapeBlue and our range of CloudStack related services

ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.