cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: CloudStack Quality Process
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2014 20:46:36 GMT
I'll be happy to participate and contribute to this effort.

On Wednesday 03 December 2014 02:04 AM, Paul Angus wrote:
> I'll throw my hat in the ring and do whatever my skillset allows.
>

> Regards,
>
> Paul Angus
> Cloud Architect
> S: +44 20 3603 0540 | M: +447711418784 | T: @CloudyAngus
> paul.angus@shapeblue.com

there, I got to meet face to face with individuals working for several companies that have
a real stake in the commercial success of the CloudStack project.

> After joining Citrix (and becoming involved in CloudStack) about a year ago, I’ve come
to believe that we need to do more to mature our quality practices around this codebase.
We all like to say #cloudstackworks (and it’s true), but this is a massive codebase that’s
used in the most demanding situations.  We have large telecommunications companies and enterprises
who are betting their businesses on this software.  It has to be great!

> There has been quite a bit of discussion on the mailing list in recent months about how
we improve in this area.  There is plenty of passion, but we haven’t made enough concrete
progress as a community.  In my discussions with key contributors as CCC, there was general
agreement that the DEV list isn’t a good forum for hashing out these kinds of things.  Email
is too low-bandwidth and too impersonal.

> At CCC, I discussed with several people the idea that we commission a small sub team
to go hash out a proposal for how we handle the following topics within the ACS community
(which can then be brought back to the larger community for ratification):

>    *   Continuous integration and test automation
>    *   Gating of commits
>    *   Overall commit workflow
>
> We are looking for volunteers to commit to being part of this team.  This would imply
a serious commitment.  We don’t want hangers on or observers. This will entail real work
and late night meetings.  We’re looking for people who are serious contributors to the codebase.

>  From Citrix, David Nalley and Animesh Chaturvedi have booth told me they’re willing
to commit to this project.  They’ve both managed ACS releases and have a really good view
into the current process — and I know both are passionate about improving our process.
From my CCC discussions, I believe there are individuals from Schuberg Philis, Shape Blue
and Cloud Ops who are willing to commit to this process.

> If you are willing to be part of this team to drive forward our community, please reply
here.

> Thanks,
>
> -Steve
>
> Steve Wilson