cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Gabor Apati-Nagy <gabor.apati-n...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: CLOUDSTACK-6543 Sorting the domain list in UI
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2014 15:38:22 GMT
My point here is: unless the API supported sorting as a parameter, we should not rely on any
expected sorting done by the API. It is really the presentation layer's job to show the results
in an order it wants to. So instead of changing the API, I would suggest let's just sort it
at UI side.

I see why sorting by name would be good in some cases, but if the same names exist in different
domains it could easily become confusing. Or it can be even more confusing if someone tries
to find something by hierarchy - not knowing it's exact name, but knowing where it should
be.

As a future feature, there could be a "browse domains" or similar selector where a popup could
show them in a searchable grid or similar where users could search by name for instance.

So I am +1 for sorting at UI side and -1 for changing to "Name (Path)" format. And +1 for
having the same format everywhere.

Thanks,
Gabor

-----Original Message-----
From: Remi Bergsma [mailto:RBergsma@schubergphilis.com]
Sent: 18 December 2014 12:16
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: CLOUDSTACK-6543 Sorting the domain list in UI

Hi,

The reason I’ve put the name upfront is because it allows for easy navigation using a keyboard.
But I see your point.

About the format, it is not consistent now, as most lists display the path whereas others
display just the name (which is really not what you want). For example when dedicating a zone
to an account. I'd suggest changing then all to the same format.

As an alternative, would sorting it at the API level be better? Then we wouldn’t have to
do it client side and we’d only have to change it at one place only.

Regards,
Remi