cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] LTS Releases
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2014 11:30:53 GMT
Hi,

During CCCEU14 conference and over emails, I spoke with many CloudStack users and I think
most of us would like to have and use LTS releases. I propose that;

- We encourage a habit to backport a bugfix to all qualifying branches whether or not those
branches are LTS
- We contribute (unit, integration) tests on LTS branches as well on other qualifying branches
- We put correct affect version and fix version on JIRA so issues that should be backported
to a branch are identified
- We adapt the LTS release model from Fedora/Ubuntu projects. Please share ideas, comments?
- We officially recognize a LTS release branch, say 4.3 now and everyone helps to maintain
it, backport bugfixes etc.
- Until a next latest stable release is published that we all mutually agree, we keep working
on the LTS branch. After say we have a stable 4.5.0 or 4.5.1 release, we can agree to recognize
4.5 as our next LTS branch and work on it.

Having a robust product release means we all (developers, users, sysadmins, ops etc.) can
save time consumed on firefighting a CloudStack cloud. Having a LTS branch and releases will
get us there because on a LTS release/support branch we don’t do feature work at all and
we only invest time to do bugfixing etc.

ShapeBlue is already serving their customers with product patching service and using our own
packages hosting (http://shapeblue.com/packages) we publish patches on the “main” repository
for everyone. We also publish details of the patch we publish on our Github wiki, such as
this example;
https://github.com/shapeblue/cloudstack/wiki/Release-Notes:-ACS-4.4.1-ShapeBlue-Patch01
We’ve recently started putting patches and release notes publicly (rather than just using
emails) so you’ll see more of these in future. When we make patches we push the changes
to upstream branches as well, in fact we fix on upstream first.

In our experience the 4.3.x releases are most stable and so we’re backporting bugfixes from
4.4/4.5/master. I’m personally going through a list of JIRA issues which has affect version
4.3.0 and/or 4.3.1 but the bugfix either does not exist or exists in a non-4.3 branch.

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com