cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Major business logic refactoring: Move from Account to UserAccount
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2014 13:20:26 GMT
Hi Prachi,

Since we’re already allowing users to specific account and list VMs by account, following
the same pattern I added the case so as to allow users to specify user_id in both list/deploy
VM commands. In case the userid is not specified, in that case the logged in user’s ID will
be used.

It’s open for discussion of course, let me know if it’s a good idea to follow the same
pattern or strictly use the logged-in user’s ID?

> On 21-Nov-2014, at 1:41 am, Prachi Damle <prachi.damle@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> Rohit,
>
> I checked the code here https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/useraccount-refactoring
and I don't understand why we need to expose the userId parameter in the deployVm API.
> I think we should be using the userId of the logged in user always.
> Exposing the parameter at the API allows it to be set by a user to the ID of another
user . Also we need validation around it to make sure it belongs to the passed account etc.

> +    //Owner userId
> +    @Parameter(name = ApiConstants.USER_ID, type = CommandType.UUID, entityType = UserResponse.class,
required = true, description = "the user ID of the owner, optional to use with account and
domainId. If not provided logged in user's ID is used.")
> +    private Long userId;
>

> Prachi

sets user_id to the first user in account_id (which usually has the same name as account)
for existing VMs. The amount of code change will be minimal.

> Checkout some code in this branch (has the db migration code and API layer changes);
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/useraccount-refactoring

> Regards,
> Rohit Yadav
> Software Architect, ShapeBlue