cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving ec2stack and gstack to the cloudstack repos.
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2014 22:29:52 GMT

On Nov 24, 2014, at 5:05 PM, Chiradeep Vittal <Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com> wrote:

> I do see a bug fix this year from Likitha  and the fact that Hugo etc are making fixes
is positive as well.
> But, the end state we desire is (a) good AWSAPI implementation with automated tests,
not (b) 2 AWSAPI implementations with no tests!

time for bed here, but to keep the conversation going, couple things:

Hugo is fixing coverity issues kind of automatically, I don't think it represents a need.
One fix from Likitha and one applied patch from me in a year is really slim.

We don't test the current awsapi during the release process or upgrade, so I actually have
no clue if it's working with 4.3 and 4.4.

Right now I don't see tests for the current awsapi, at least not on jenkins.buildacloud.org.
Current awsapi also includes S3 stuff which I think we can all agree is confusing and unused
since it's really an interface to an NFS store and not a distributed object store.

So the choice for me is between:

-current awsapi, not clearly maintained, without tests and which state in the release is unknown

and

-a new implementation < 6 months old, smaller code base, up to date with AWS version number,
tested manually with boto, eutester and awscli and with 99% unit test coverage.

> —
> Chiradeep
>
> From: Sebastien Goasguen <runseb@gmail.com<mailto:runseb@gmail.com>>
> Date: Monday, November 24, 2014 at 1:36 PM
> To: "dev@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:dev@cloudstack.apache.org>" <dev@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:dev@cloudstack.apache.org>>
> Subject: Re: Moving ec2stack and gstack to the cloudstack repos.
>

> On Nov 24, 2014, at 3:44 PM, Chiradeep Vittal <Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com<mailto:Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com>>
wrote:

> “..nobody in the community (aside from you, Likitha and Prachi) have actually touched
that code in the last two years. So if we don't maintain that code.."
> That’s false equivalence. Clearly it has been maintained since there are bug fixes.
>
> I don't know…I look at:
>
> https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/tree/master/awsapi
>
> I see Hugo has fixed some coverity issues
>
> I applied a review 8 months ago
>
> the rest is older. but maybe I am not looking at this the right way.
>
> there is one review still pending:
>
> https://reviews.apache.org/r/21776/
>
> So from looking at it this way it does not look actively maintained. No ?
>
> But we’re looking to make things better. I am not sure HOW bringing in another compatibility
layer brings benefits, UNLESS WE propose to commit time to provide a suite of integration
tests (say, via eutester)

> Do we have a suite of integration tests for awsapi that is running right now ? where
?

> I did play with eutester and actually patched it to work with cloudstack when I worked
on ec2stack:

> http://sebgoa.blogspot.de/2014/06/eutester-interesting-tool-based-on-boto.html
>
> -sebastien
>
> Thanks
> —
> Chiradeep
> From: sebgoa <runseb@gmail.com<mailto:runseb@gmail.com><mailto:runseb@gmail.com>>
> Date: Monday, November 24, 2014 at 11:39 AM
> To: "dev@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:dev@cloudstack.apache.org><mailto:dev@cloudstack.apache.org>"
<dev@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:dev@cloudstack.apache.org><mailto:dev@cloudstack.apache.org>>
> Subject: Re: Moving ec2stack and gstack to the cloudstack repos.
> On Nov 24, 2014, at 7:19 PM, Chiradeep Vittal <Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com<mailto:Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com><mailto:Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com>>
wrote:
> Seems legit, but from (bitter) experience, there is no point in a compatible API layer
unless somebody puts in the elbow grease to test the compatibility. Since the actual EC2 API
as implemented by AWS changes frequently and has undocumented semantics and  behavior that
varies from the WSDL, this takes some work. So, my question would be how would this benefit
the community (unless someone has tested out the compatibility with various tools such as
boto, ec2-* CLI).
> I think the main issue is the on-going maintenance of such an interface. That's also
one of the main reason why I advocate to remove awsapi, nobody in the community (aside from
you, Likitha and Prachi) have actually touched that code in the last two years. So if we don't
maintain that code and indeed run CI against this interface, advertising that we have it gives
a false "hope" to users.
> On the other side of the coin, I think most cloud tools out there now have native cloudstack
API support (vagrant, cfg mgmt , libcloud etc…), so the need for a pure ec2 interface has
diminished greatly.
> -sebastien
> From: Sebastien Goasguen <runseb@gmail.com<mailto:runseb@gmail.com><mailto:runseb@gmail.com><mailto:runseb@gmail.com>>
> Date: Saturday, November 22, 2014 at 12:41 PM
> To: "dev@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:dev@cloudstack.apache.org><mailto:dev@cloudstack.apache.org><mailto:dev@cloudstack.apache.org>"
<dev@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:dev@cloudstack.apache.org><mailto:dev@cloudstack.apache.org><mailto:dev@cloudstack.apache.org>>
> Subject: Moving ec2stack and gstack to the cloudstack repos.
> Folks,
> Some of you may know of the existence of:
> https://github.com/BroganD1993/ec2stack
> https://github.com/NOPping/gstack
> These represent a EC2 and a GCE interface to cloudstack.
> Flask applications that map the requests to the cloudstack API.
> There was only 3 contributors, myself, Ian (PMC and committer on CS) and Darren Brogan.
> Darren worked on this during his GSoC 2014 summer project.
> Both projects are on Apache V2 license.
> The three of us (Ian, Darren and myself) agree that we would like to move them under
the umbrella of cloudstack and manage separate releases like we do cloud monkey.