cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Chiradeep Vittal <Chiradeep.Vit...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: Moving ec2stack and gstack to the cloudstack repos.
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2014 20:44:10 GMT
“..nobody in the community (aside from you, Likitha and Prachi) have actually touched that
code in the last two years. So if we don't maintain that code.."
That’s false equivalence. Clearly it has been maintained since there are bug fixes.

But we’re looking to make things better. I am not sure HOW bringing in another compatibility
layer brings benefits, UNLESS WE propose to commit time to provide a suite of integration
tests (say, via eutester)

Thanks
—
Chiradeep

From: sebgoa <runseb@gmail.com<mailto:runseb@gmail.com>>
Date: Monday, November 24, 2014 at 11:39 AM
To: "dev@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:dev@cloudstack.apache.org>" <dev@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:dev@cloudstack.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Moving ec2stack and gstack to the cloudstack repos.

On Nov 24, 2014, at 7:19 PM, Chiradeep Vittal <Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com<mailto:Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com>>
wrote:

Seems legit, but from (bitter) experience, there is no point in a compatible API layer unless
somebody puts in the elbow grease to test the compatibility. Since the actual EC2 API as implemented
by AWS changes frequently and has undocumented semantics and  behavior that varies from the
WSDL, this takes some work. So, my question would be how would this benefit the community
(unless someone has tested out the compatibility with various tools such as boto, ec2-* CLI).

I think the main issue is the on-going maintenance of such an interface. That's also one of
the main reason why I advocate to remove awsapi, nobody in the community (aside from you,
Likitha and Prachi) have actually touched that code in the last two years. So if we don't
maintain that code and indeed run CI against this interface, advertising that we have it gives
a false "hope" to users.

On the other side of the coin, I think most cloud tools out there now have native cloudstack
API support (vagrant, cfg mgmt , libcloud etc…), so the need for a pure ec2 interface has
diminished greatly.

-sebastien