cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From sebgoa <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving ec2stack and gstack to the cloudstack repos.
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2014 19:39:22 GMT

On Nov 24, 2014, at 7:19 PM, Chiradeep Vittal <Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com> wrote:

> Seems legit, but from (bitter) experience, there is no point in a compatible API layer
unless somebody puts in the elbow grease to test the compatibility. Since the actual EC2 API
as implemented by AWS changes frequently and has undocumented semantics and  behavior that
varies from the WSDL, this takes some work. So, my question would be how would this benefit
the community (unless someone has tested out the compatibility with various tools such as
boto, ec2-* CLI).

I think the main issue is the on-going maintenance of such an interface. That's also one of
the main reason why I advocate to remove awsapi, nobody in the community (aside from you,
Likitha and Prachi) have actually touched that code in the last two years. So if we don't
maintain that code and indeed run CI against this interface, advertising that we have it gives
a false "hope" to users.

On the other side of the coin, I think most cloud tools out there now have native cloudstack
API support (vagrant, cfg mgmt , libcloud etc…), so the need for a pure ec2 interface has
diminished greatly.

-sebastien

> From: Sebastien Goasguen <runseb@gmail.com<mailto:runseb@gmail.com>>
> Date: Saturday, November 22, 2014 at 12:41 PM
> To: "dev@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:dev@cloudstack.apache.org>" <dev@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:dev@cloudstack.apache.org>>
> Subject: Moving ec2stack and gstack to the cloudstack repos.
>
> Folks,
>
> Some of you may know of the existence of:
>
> https://github.com/BroganD1993/ec2stack
> https://github.com/NOPping/gstack
>
> These represent a EC2 and a GCE interface to cloudstack.
> Flask applications that map the requests to the cloudstack API.
>
> There was only 3 contributors, myself, Ian (PMC and committer on CS) and Darren Brogan.
> Darren worked on this during his GSoC 2014 summer project.
>
> Both projects are on Apache V2 license.
>
> The three of us (Ian, Darren and myself) agree that we would like to move them under
the umbrella of cloudstack and manage separate releases like we do cloud monkey.