cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Phillips <mphilli7...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Server 2012 R2 Bug on CS 4.4.0 with vmware hypervisor
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2014 01:22:46 GMT
further clarification; CS adds the data disk to the VM but since it's listed as SCSI device
0:0, the vm is unable to find it when you do a disk rescan.
I hope this makes sense...

> From: mphilli7823@hotmail.com
> To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
> Subject: Server 2012 R2 Bug on CS 4.4.0 with vmware hypervisor
> Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 19:13:09 -0600
>
> So I was unable to add a data disk to my vm running server 2012 R2 standard, so I started
tracking down the issue and I think I found it. So when provisioning a vm running server 2012
R2, CS creates the VM with the "LSI Logic Parallel" adapter. It looks like the only reason
the machine is even able to boot is becuase the ROOT drive is set to be an IDE drive, specifically
(IDE 0:1). Any data disks added to the same machine are set as SCSI drives. So if I added
one data disk it would be listed as SCSI 0:0. So it seems the mismatch is between the controller
type CS is using and the disk type. So this bring me to the major question at hand.
> For server 2012 R2 vmware natively uses the "LSI Logic SAS" controller. Why in the world
is CS not using the same controller, and is there a way around this?