cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Should we keep tags on release branches?
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2014 09:32:49 GMT
Hi Daan,

> On 13-Nov-2014, at 12:13 am, Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com> wrote:
> old way:
> a->a-revert->some improvements->b->b-revert->some improvements->c >>
> next version

I don’t remember if we revert all the time in the old way, if a RC/voting candidate failed
the workflow was:

rc-a->vote->fix-bug->rc-b->vote->fix-bug->rc-c->vote->all-good?->pass!

> new way
> a->some improvements->b->some improvements->c
> a branch abandoned, b branch abandonned

My take on this is that the new way is worse than old way, so it is no harm to revert unless
we can come up with a good workflow. My argument is:

- With the new way we break the convention we followed with 4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3

- This ends up forking the release branch 4.4, the history that got 4.4.1 tag and possibly
the future 4.4.2 tag

- This add code divergence and it’s hard for people to support patching of old releases.

- I personally like linear histories, they are more intuitive and basic git usage can get
you around

- It’s hard to follow changes when they are not documented, this new workflow was not voted
upon or properly communicated/discussed.

Lastly, I want to note that I *personally* don’t have issues with the new workflow as I
know enough git to get around. My workaround is to checkout ACS release tags as release/support
branches. For ShapeBlue’s patching service I checkout released tags as shapeblue-<ACS-tag>
branch (public and open for everyone on Github). On this branch I patch things, test/build/sign/publish
repository with my team before we publish release notes and upgrade instructions (on Github).
I also push changes on upstream branches (all that are applicable starting 4.3 branch).

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com