cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Major business logic refactoring: Move from Account to UserAccount
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2014 09:27:26 GMT
Good ideas, I’ll use them. So I think no one disagrees with this;

- list VMs still has user_id, but deployVM won’t
- We’ll use first user in the account if someone’s impersonating; else use logged in user
to get user_id

> On 25-Nov-2014, at 12:17 am, Prachi Damle <prachi.damle@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Rohit,
>
> I see your point: when deploy VM is called by an admin impersonating another account,
the user_id value will be set to logged in user, which will be the admin. And this will break
your usecase.
> Correct?
>
> Do you think your functionality needs this usecase i.e an admin impersonating deployVm
for another user? If you won't hit this scenario primarily, we can just set the user_id to
first user in the account being impersonated to cover this case - just as your upgrade code
for existing Vms.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Thanks,
> Prachi
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Rohit Yadav [mailto:rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com]
> Sent: Friday, November 21, 2014 11:13 PM
> To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
> Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Major business logic refactoring: Move from Account to UserAccount
>
> Hi Min, Prachi,
>
> Thanks for your comments. I see your point, the use case is to list VMs for a user_id
(uuid, not name). I'm going to add the arg/option the listVM api to accept user_id and return
the list of VMs for that user, and add option in the UI to do the same. Note, this is not
for auditing purposes (for that we have events).
>
> But, since we allow impersonation of account while deploying a VM by the same logic we
should allow impersonation at the user_id as well which we only accept in the deploy VM API
if an account/domain is mentioned along with the user_id. If I only use logged-in user ID,
it makes implementation very simple but at the same time but sort of breaks impersonation
semantics. Note: the fix will be simple, won't change IAM and this is just to add capability
to list VMs for a user ID.
>
>> On 21-Nov-2014, at 11:57 pm, Prachi Damle <prachi.damle@citrix.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Rohit,
>> The accountId in deployVm API is serving the purpose of impersonation and can be
passed typically by admin accounts to deploy VM on behalf of other User.
>> So Ideally with IAM, this parameter should be removed from the API and impersonation
should be handled separately.
>> Keeping this goal, I think let's not add userID parameter in the API.
>>
>> We should default the value to the logged in user - this will prevent usecases around
cross-account/cross-user scenarios.
>> Thanks,
>> Prachi
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Min Chen [mailto:min.chen@citrix.com]
>> Sent: Friday, November 21, 2014 8:16 AM
>> To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
>> Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Major business logic refactoring: Move from
>> Account to UserAccount
>>
>> If I understood correctly, (account, domainId) passed into deployVMCmd is used for
impersonation-like behavior, that is, caller is deploying a VM on behalf of an account. Personally
I don't like this kind of putting so many parameters in one API to perform several different
functionalities, impersonation should be done through IAM separately. Too many parameters
will just make our API semantics very hard to understand and maintain.
>> Along this line, I will not like to see this user_id added here.
>>
>> Thanks
>> -min
>>
>> On 11/21/14 5:20 AM, "Rohit Yadav" <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Prachi,
>>>
>>> Since we¹re already allowing users to specific account and list VMs
>>> by account, following the same pattern I added the case so as to
>>> allow users to specify user_id in both list/deploy VM commands. In
>>> case the userid is not specified, in that case the logged in user¹s ID will
be used.
>>>
>>> It¹s open for discussion of course, let me know if it¹s a good idea
>>> to follow the same pattern or strictly use the logged-in user¹s ID?
>>>
>>>> On 21-Nov-2014, at 1:41 am, Prachi Damle <prachi.damle@citrix.com>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Rohit,
>>>>
>>>> I checked the code here
>>>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack.git;a=shortlog;
>>>> h= ref s/heads/useraccount-refactoring and I don't understand why we
>>>> need to expose the userId parameter in the deployVm API.
>>>> I think we should be using the userId of the logged in user always.
>>>> Exposing the parameter at the API allows it to be set by a user to
>>>> the ID of another user . Also we need validation around it to make
>>>> sure it belongs to the passed account etc.
>>>>
>>>> +    //Owner userId
>>>> +    @Parameter(name = ApiConstants.USER_ID, type =
>>>> + CommandType.UUID,
>>>> entityType = UserResponse.class, required = true, description = "the
>>>> user ID of the owner, optional to use with account and domainId. If
>>>> not provided logged in user's ID is used.")
>>>> +    private Long userId;
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Prachi
>>>>
>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>> From: Rohit Yadav [mailto:rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com]
>>>> Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2014 6:06 AM
>>>> To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
>>>> Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Major business logic refactoring: Move from
>>>> Account to UserAccount
>>>>
>>>> Only one table will be affected.
>>>>
>>>>> On 16-Nov-2014, at 3:14 am, Amogh Vasekar
>>>>> <amogh.vasekar@citrix.com>
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Question - What happens to the already existing VMs with entries in
>>>>> the DB? Do we keep it NULL?
>>>>
>>>> NULL will be and not useful. I think it should be okay to have a db
>>>> migration path that sets user_id to the first user in account_id
>>>> (which usually has the same name as account) for existing VMs. The
>>>> amount of code change will be minimal.
>>>>
>>>> Checkout some code in this branch (has the db migration code and API
>>>> layer changes);
>>>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack.git;a=shortlog;
>>>> h=
>>>> ref
>>>> s/heads/useraccount-refactoring
>>>>
>>>> Regards,
>>>> Rohit Yadav
>>>> Software Architect, ShapeBlue
>>>> M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
>>>> Blog: bhaisaab.org | Twitter: @_bhaisaab
>>>>
>>>> Find out more about ShapeBlue and our range of CloudStack related
>>>> services
>>>>
>>>> IaaS Cloud Design &
>>>> Build<http://shapeblue.com/iaas-cloud-design-and-build//>
>>>> CSForge - rapid IaaS deployment
>>>> framework<http://shapeblue.com/csforge/>
>>>> CloudStack Consulting<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-consultancy/>
>>>> CloudStack Software
>>>> Engineering<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-software-engineering/>
>>>> CloudStack Infrastructure
>>>> Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/>
>>>> CloudStack Bootcamp Training
>>>> Courses<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
>>>>
>>>> This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are
>>>> intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.
>>>> Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and
>>>> do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies.
>>>> If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must
>>>> neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone.
>>>> Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this
>>>> email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England &
Wales.
>>>> ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and
>>>> is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil
>>>> Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated
>>>> under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company
>>>> registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under
>>>> license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Rohit Yadav
>>> Software Architect, ShapeBlue
>>> M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
>>> Blog: bhaisaab.org | Twitter: @_bhaisaab
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Find out more about ShapeBlue and our range of CloudStack related
>>> services
>>>
>>> IaaS Cloud Design &
>>> Build<http://shapeblue.com/iaas-cloud-design-and-build//>
>>> CSForge ­ rapid IaaS deployment
>>> framework<http://shapeblue.com/csforge/>
>>> CloudStack Consulting<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-consultancy/>
>>> CloudStack Software
>>> Engineering<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-software-engineering/>
>>> CloudStack Infrastructure
>>> Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/>
>>> CloudStack Bootcamp Training
>>> Courses<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
>>>
>>> This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are
>>> intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.
>>> Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do
>>> not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies.
>>> If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither
>>> take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone.
>>> Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error.
>>> Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales.
>>> ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and
>>> is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil
>>> Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated
>>> under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company
>>> registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under
>>> license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.
>>
>
> Regards,
> Rohit Yadav
> Software Architect, ShapeBlue
> M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
> Blog: bhaisaab.org | Twitter: @_bhaisaab
>
>
>
> Find out more about ShapeBlue and our range of CloudStack related services
>
> IaaS Cloud Design & Build<http://shapeblue.com/iaas-cloud-design-and-build//>
> CSForge - rapid IaaS deployment framework<http://shapeblue.com/csforge/>
> CloudStack Consulting<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-consultancy/>
> CloudStack Software Engineering<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-software-engineering/>
> CloudStack Infrastructure Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/>
> CloudStack Bootcamp Training Courses<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
>
> This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for
the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies.
If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based
upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe
you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England
& Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated
under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated
in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company
registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd.
ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
Blog: bhaisaab.org | Twitter: @_bhaisaab



Find out more about ShapeBlue and our range of CloudStack related services

IaaS Cloud Design & Build<http://shapeblue.com/iaas-cloud-design-and-build//>
CSForge – rapid IaaS deployment framework<http://shapeblue.com/csforge/>
CloudStack Consulting<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-consultancy/>
CloudStack Software Engineering<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-software-engineering/>
CloudStack Infrastructure Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/>
CloudStack Bootcamp Training Courses<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use
of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those
of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies.
If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based
upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe
you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England
& Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated
under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated
in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company
registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd.
ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Mime
View raw message