cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache CloudStack CloudMonkey 5.3.0 (round #4)
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2014 16:48:31 GMT
Hi Geoff,

I’ve fixed the issues now, please check with latest 5.3 branch. I’ll wait for your confirmation
to start a new voting round.

There are some comments from my side;

- Launching will take longer time if username/password is used, because in non-interpreted
or terminal mode, for every command it will first login, get a sessionkey and use it for executing
the request. If you use apikey/secretkey, only one API request is sent.

- When you grep, please put the things you’re grep-ing on in quotes, it’s more of a general
rule to accommodate different shells (other than bash). The following works inside of cloudmonkey
and on bash, but fails on zsh (tested on OSX):
   cloudmonkey <command> | grep ^id\ =
The following works on all three places (in cloudmonkey, in shell/bash and in zsh):
    cloudmonkey <command> | grep “^id ="

- While executing things in bash/script consider using the shell function $(put commands here)
to execute things in background to get result instead of the `putting things in backquotes`,
as $(is much safer).

- About the slash issue (escaping blanks, as in "\ “), don’t double box strings with spaces.
So, don’t do something like arg=‘“some value with space”’. I checked the scripts,
you’re sending values in double quotes (“) inside single quotes (‘). This tells the
default shell lexical parser to treat the inside of ‘’ (single quotes strings) as it is;
which means the double quotes are part of the arg value you’re passing.

For example from your script;

$cli create serviceoffering cpunumber=1 cpuspeed=500 displaytext='"Tiny - 1vCPU, 256MB RAM"'
memory=256 name='"Tiny"' offerha=true

In the above, the displaytext is boxed by '’ quotes which contains a string with double
quotes ".

- Not sure about the query asyncjobresult issue, it could be that the ACS mgmt server is taking
time, or the timeout period is low. Did you find that it timeouts before the set timeout value
(in the server profile)? If so, can you share the logs with me?

> On 03-Nov-2014, at 8:25 pm, Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com>
wrote:

> -1 from me for the following reasons:
>
> 1. Can no longer clear the Username and Password settings from the config using the set
commands - I initially connect with these, then auto configure the API & Secret Key, then
delete the old username and password settings using:

> #cloudmonkey set username
> #cloudmonkey set password
>
> But it throws an error about not allowing blank values and does not clear the values
from the config file (it works in earlier versions)

> 2.  Launching now takes a lot longer, suspect an authentication issue
>
> 3. A number of my scripts which have worked for all previous versions now no longer work,
in particular anything with spaces in seems to fail:

> e.g.  This line used to work, but now it fails
> offeringid1=`$cli list serviceofferings name='"Small Instance"' | grep ^id\ = | awk '{print
$3}'`
> If I rename the offering using the UI to Small_Instance (to remove the space) then it
works

> e.g. This line used to work
> $cli create serviceoffering cpunumber=1 cpuspeed=500 displaytext='"Ultra Tiny - 1vCPU,
128MB RAM"' memory=128 name='"Ultra Tiny"' offerha=true
> Now it generates a Compute Offering with a name of "Ultra\ Tiny" and a description of
"Ultra\ Tiny\ -\ 1vCPU,\ 128MB\ RAM" - note the \ before every space

> 4.  query asyncjobresult is timing out when running in a script
>
> Some of these errors may be caused by errors in my scripts, but I have been using these
very scripts for testing for some time now and they have always worked OK with earlier versions
of CloudMonkey

> Regards
>
> Geoff Higginbottom

> geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

OSX and Ubuntu.

in API calls, shell and piped calls, for example:

Blue
Wales.
India
Blue
and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered
by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd.