cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2014 15:16:44 GMT
Hey Daan,

> On 25-Nov-2014, at 7:26 pm, Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That is worrying, Rohit. As the rest of your mail is already a vote of
> distrust, this part says we should not release 4.4.2 as it contains
> regressions.

Looks like you skimmed my email and missed the following from my previous email:
“Note: This is not to say that 4.4.x is not stable, we’re simply saying we recommend 4.3.x
because we have a confidence of its stability and we encourage serious CloudStack users to
use it.”

4.4.x is probably the greatest ACS feature release ever but I would still recommend conservative
users (who consult me) to stick to 4.3.x for production since we know it just works with least
amount of pain. The other issue is I know a lot of people who are on ACS 4.3.x still (including
ShapeBlue’s customers) want to have bugfix releases and they may not want to migrate to
4.4.x right now since 4.5.x is about 2–3 months away.

ACS when consumed by enterprise companies has a typical lifecycle that lasts at least 6 months,
that means someone needs to support it, therefore the idea of official LTS releases.

> This is a very bad signal to users and the rest of the
> community. What you are saying is (you in transitive form), 'we won't
> port fixes to 4.4 but only to 4.3 so upgrade to newer 4.3 versions and
> not to a 4.4 version. You have the right to do so but I don't like it.

In any form I did not say anything about not helping out or not porting things. People who
know me, know that I love to help everyone and I’m quite prompt at reply and resolving things.
I’ve taken the task to maintain 4.3 and you’re very welcome to go thorough JIRA etc. to
backport things that you want for 4.4 since you’re alone the gatekeeper of this branch.

I’m going through these bugs that have a different fix version (not 4.3.0 or 4.3.1): https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12329775

Wido suggested that backporting is time consuming so as a challenge I’ve went through 50
issues today, I was able to understand/backport about 25 of them that qualified for 4.3 branch
(many of them were trivial, https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack.git;a=commit;h=f72eb945540e607ff25917922b4084187246f31a),
about 10 of them were hard to backport so I’ve asked authors to help out. I think with this
speed I alone should be able to go through like 300 issues reported on JIRA in about 10-15
days time and after than about 10-20 days of testing and getting the bugfix release out. Though
if we all help out we can get more mileage.

It sucks for me personally that I’ve been emailing you privately about cherry-pick and asking
you to pick them on 4.4 (also leaving messages on JIRA). I’ll continue to do that :) and
meanwhile, you are very welcome to go see the things I picked on 4.3 and pick those applicable
on 4.4.

Yours friendly and as always,

Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue