cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Major business logic refactoring: Move from Account to UserAccount
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2014 10:28:45 GMT
Hi,

> On 15-Nov-2014, at 2:27 pm, Rajani Karuturi <rajani@apache.org> wrote:
>
> I agree with Nitin. It will be cleaner to use the events table. Since
> cloudstack is concerned only about account, it makes sense to have only
> that information which is the owner field(and remove account_id,
> domain_id).
> I think, there is no auto purging or archival of events. Its the operator
> who decides to delete the events. He can decide what he wants to
> retain/delete.

I don’t think it’s a pragmatic solution, let me explain — In the past few months, apart
from ACS development I’ve been heavily involved in working and supporting large production
grade clouds and my ops experience is that there are usually couple of sysadmins (usually
working in shifts) and we cannot really rely on the assumption that events are only cleared
by one operator or that there is culture of knowledge sharing of all the actions. If one of
the sysadmins (during their shift) removes some events, others won’t know. The events feature
is perhaps good for event-driven consumption such as via AMQP/RabbitMQ and automated monitoring
systems but perhaps not best suited for humans all the time (yet).

The other use case is of a large org who are consumer of a (rented) CloudStack cloud among
other tenants, the whole team of an org shares the account but has various users in it. For
them it can be useful to list vms and other resources by userid within their account. Since,
they may not be admin (renting cloud?) the pragmatic solution would be to have such metadata
somewhere easily slice-able and dice-able using APIs.

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com