cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Remove SNAPSHOT from versioning and keep tags on the release branch
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2014 05:29:53 GMT
Hi Nate,

> On 24-Oct-2014, at 2:28 am, Nate Gordon <nate.gordon@appcore.com> wrote:
>
> The jars are used when developing plugins outside of the core repo. My
> company develops plugins which are self contained jars for our customers.
> We do this without modifying the core code so that we aren't forking ACS in
> the process and to support CCP.

Interesting use-case, how do you get the jars? From which maven repository?

Of the main sources of publicly published jars, I cannot find any CloudStack projects or jars
(for all official releases);
http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cga%7C1%7Ccloudstack
http://mvnrepository.com/search?q=cloudstack
http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache

In case of ACS, how do you get the jars if you’re not using a published repo and extracting
jars from it?

In case of CCP, they are not opensource (or that their changes/interfaces are documented)
or publish jars on a some maven repository (not to mention they use the same artifact ID etc),
so the only way to get CCP’s jars is to get a package tarball, extract the debs/rpms and
get the jars.

If in future we decide to do something like publish jars on a public maven repository for
GA releases, then we can consider adding -SNAPSHOT otherwise I would encourage pragmatism
over a pedantic approach. By not keeping -SNAPSHOT, we reduce the git history divergence and
deb/rpm build issues we see too often.

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue