cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: merging versus cherry-picking
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2014 10:57:31 GMT
Hi,

On 16-Oct-2014, at 3:32 pm, sebgoa <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Proposal:
> ----
> All commits come through github PR, *even* for committers. We declare a moratorium period
(agreed suspension of activity) during which direct commit to master is forbidden.
> Only the master RM is allowed to merge PR in master (we define a master RM). If direct
commit to master is done, master RM reverts without warning. Same for 4.5 and 4.4. branches.
> ——

+1

We get the free TravisCI smoke checks and personally I find it more pleasant to view the diff,
review on PR.

> This is drastic and I am sure some folks will not like it, but here is my justification
for such a measure:

> Our commit and release processes have so far been based on the idea that development
happens on master and that a release branch is cut from master (unstable development branch).
Then a different set of community members harden the release branch, QA and bring it to GA
level. During that time development keeps on going in master.

> This is an OK process if we have the luxury of having a QA team and can cope with split
personality of being developers and release managers.

> My point of view is that as a community we cannot afford such a split brain organization
and our experience overt the last year proves my point (delayed release date, broken builds,
features merged without warning…)

> We can avoid this by cutting a release branch from a stable one (from the start), then
as you (Daan) have mentioned several times, fix bugs in the release branch and merge them
back in the stable source of the release (be it master).

> Feature development need to be done outside master, period. Not only for non-committers
but also for committers. And merge request need to be called. This will help review and avoid
surprises.

> New git workflow were proposed and shutdown, mostly calling for better CI to solve quality
issues. CI will not solve our quality issues alone. We need to better police ourselves.

> To avoid long discussions, I propose this simple but drastic measure. We move all our
commits to github PR until 4.5 is out, this stands for committers and non-committers, direct
commits (especially to master) would be reverted immediately.

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com