cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From sebgoa <run...@gmail.com>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Move to github PR only during moratorium on commit
Date Sat, 18 Oct 2014 09:00:17 GMT
After [1] I would like to officially bring up the following proposal.

[Proposal]
----
All commits come through github PR, *even* for committers. We declare a moratorium period
(agreed suspension of activity) during which direct commit to master is forbidden.
Only the master RM is allowed to merge PR in master (we define a master RM). If direct commit
to master is done, master RM reverts without warning. Same for 4.5 and 4.4. branches.
----

This is drastic and I am sure some folks will not like it, but here is my justification for
such a measure:

[Reasons]:
----
Our commit and release processes have so far been based on the idea that development happens
on master and that a release branch is cut from master (unstable development branch). Then
a different set of community members harden the release branch, QA and bring it to GA level.
During that time development keeps on going in master.

This is an OK process if we have the luxury of having a QA team and can cope with split personality
of being developers and release managers.

My point of view is that as a community we cannot afford such a split brain organization and
our experience overt the last year proves my point (delayed release date, broken builds, features
merged without warning…)

We can avoid this by cutting a release branch from a stable one (from the start), then as
you (Daan) have mentioned several times, fix bugs in the release branch and merge them back
in the stable source of the release (be it master).

Feature development need to be done outside master, period. Not only for non-committers but
also for committers. And merge request need to be called. This will help review and avoid
surprises.

New git workflow were proposed and shutdown, mostly calling for better CI to solve quality
issues. CI will not solve our quality issues alone. We need to better police ourselves.

To avoid long discussions, I propose this simple but drastic measure. We move all our commits
to github PR until 4.5 is out, this stands for committers and non-committers, direct commits
(especially to master) would be reverted immediately.
----

Our development and release process is broken, we cannot continue like this, let's fix it.

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/xeliefp3oleq3g54

-sebastien