cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE][ACS44]Apache CloudStack 4.4.1 RC 3 in branch 4.4-RC20141014T2316
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2014 07:41:23 GMT
Hi Daan,

> On 20-Oct-2014, at 1:02 pm, Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> no, the release is on that branch not on the 4.4 branch. We could rename
> the branch if needed. putting the tag on 4.4 would make it either a
> 4.4.1-SNAPSHOT or a 4.4.2-SNAPSHOT depending on where on the branch we put
> the tag.

If you look at other branches, 4.2, 4.3 etc all the tagged releases are done on the branch;
there is no separate release branch like in this case 4.4-RC20141014T2316. It’s just a matter
of ease here, I can always git fetch and checkout a tag, but historically we’ve put tags
on the release branch that we cut out.

I also wanted to discuss why we add -SNAPSHOT at all, what’s the harm in say keep the next
version to 4.4.2 (if we have 4.4.2 in future)? This diverges code (in git terms) a lot, why
not just switch to the next version? When building rpms or debs (in changelog), we can still
add a suffix but those changes would introduce minimal divergence.

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com