cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE][ACS44]Apache CloudStack 4.4.1 RC 1 in branch 4.4-RC20140924T2100
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2014 13:35:16 GMT
+0  only because of the issues in the release notes, a clean install and an upgrade from 4.3.1
went OK, but only because I know how to do it, it would not work if I followed the release
notes.  The Router Upgrade notification elements in the UI, introduced in 4.3 are also broken
(this should possibly be a -1 as it could result in installs running with the wrong version
of the VRs without realising)

Notes:

2x XenServer 6.2 in a single Cluster
NFS Primary Storage x2
System VM Template from http://jenkins.buildacloud.org/view/4.4/job/cloudstack-4.4-systemvm64/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/tools/appliance/dist/systemvm64template-4.4-2014-09-30-xen.vhd.bz2
Clean install of 4.4.1 to single management server on CentOS 6.5 with MySQL installed locally
Created new Zone, POD, Cluster, Sec Storage, Hosts, Pri Storage all via API
Updated Various Global Settings via API
Created Domains and Accounts via API
Deployed VMs for user account as Root and configured network Egress rules via API
Deployed VM as root via UI
Live Migrated VMs between Hosts
Offline Migrated (VM stopped) Root Volume between Pri Storage via UI - cloudstack service
crashed! (Install is running inside VirtualBox and Management VM is also NFS Server so added
more RAM and tried again) - repeated test after a manual clean up and it was successful
Live Migrated (VM running) Root Volume between Pri Storage via UI
Disabled / Re-enabled Host
Adding / removing NICs and changing default etc via UI
Deployed new VPC, with two tiers, added VM to each tier, setup ACLs etc via API

Then I did an upgrade test of a 4.3.1 system using the latest system VM template from Jenkins
(this system was originally built on 4.3.0 and upgraded to 4.3.1, before being upgraded to
4.4.1)
New System VM template installed OK

The steps in the release notes about downloading vhd-utils for XenServer are misleading.
If you blindly follow the steps the simply end up with a 2nd copy 'vhd-utils.1' as this is
an upgrade and you will already have vhd-utils on the management server, at least if upgrading
from a recent release such as 4.3.x.

If vhd-utils needs replacing we need to be specific about removing the old one.  I don’t
think it actually needs replacing, it's just in a different location to older installs, but
the 4.3 upgrade guide still has this step in it. (I can't remember which release changed the
location)

The MySQL Statements for the manual upgrade of the template are also incorrect as they do
not include the DB name so fail

e.g.
select id,name from vm_template where name = 'systemvm-xenserver-4.4';

should be
select id,name from cloud.vm_template where name = 'systemvm-xenserver-4.4';

The same with the following commands

update vm_template set type='SYSTEM' where id='<ID FROM COMMAND #1>';
update vm_instance set vm_template_id = '<ID FROM COMMAND #1>' where type='ConsoleProxy'
and hypervisor_type = 'xenserver';
update vm_instance set vm_template_id = '<ID FROM COMMAND #1>' where type='SecondaryStorageVm'
and hypervisor_type = 'xenserver';
update configuration set value = 'systemvm-xenserver-4.4' where name = 'router.template.xen';

should be

update cloud.vm_template set type='SYSTEM' where id='<ID FROM COMMAND #1>';
update cloud.vm_instance set vm_template_id = '<ID FROM COMMAND #1>' where type='ConsoleProxy'
and hypervisor_type = 'xenserver';
update cloud.vm_instance set vm_template_id = '<ID FROM COMMAND #1>' where type='SecondaryStorageVm'
and hypervisor_type = 'xenserver';
update cloud.configuration set value = 'systemvm-xenserver-4.4' where name = 'router.template.xen';

However I did not need to do this as the cloud.vm_instance table and cloud.configuration table
had automatically been updated to the correct values, so are these steps actually necessary?

4.3 introduced the ability to manage the restart of VRs via the UI, but after upgrading to
4.4.1 the UI lists all VRs as NOT requiring upgrade, even though they have not been upgraded
yet and are clearly shown as still be at version 4.3

I could fix the release notes issues, but there may be good reasons why they are how they
are that I am not aware of, so just wanted to highlight them for now.  I have only tested
the XenServer upgrade steps and only from 4.3 so there may be similar errors in other sections.

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com