cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Remove SNAPSHOT from versioning and keep tags on the release branch
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2014 14:00:46 GMT
Hi Pierre,

Thanks for sharing. I think in your use case, if you’re using debian packages you can take
the source and add a package release with suitable names in debian/changelog; in case of rpms
you can add a tag/build-version (like 4.4.1.20141020). What I’m proposing is to remove using
-snapshot suffix in pom.xmls and in debian/changelog by default. If anyone want that convention,
they can run a script to do that automatically as well. This tries to reduce code divergence,
the effort it take to find/fix build issues say when building deb/rpm packages, especially
between version changes.

> On 20-Oct-2014, at 6:56 pm, Pierre-Luc Dion <pdion891@apache.org> wrote:
>
> When working with multiple environments with various installation of
> Cloudstack (in labs)  the -SNAPSHOT tell me that it's the non released
> version currently running. That's helpful once the release is GA to know
> if's the the GA version in place or not.
>
> Having the -SNAPSHOT remove the confusion around if the code is from a GA
> version. I would tend to say that -SNAPSHOT should be all over the place
> except official release tags, .tgz or packages.
>
> I would be -0 close to a -1 if this is a vote, but I might misunderstand
> something. I'd like the know what we are trying to resolve?  if this is
> because if cause issue with jenkins jobs, and what so ever then it's fine.
> I will not -1 this ;-)

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue