cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Hugo Trippaers <h...@trippaers.nl>
Subject Re: CI improvment part 1
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2014 08:06:48 GMT
Hey Edison,

Nice job!  Speeding up the simulator is an important step :-)

We should probably try to get the new setup working with Travis so we can run it on every
commit. I don;t think we nee gerrit yet (who other discussion) but if we get this testing
every github pull request and every newly created hotfix/bugfix/feature branch we have the
same effect right.

Cheers,

Hugo

On 26 sep. 2014, at 06:43, Edison Su <Edison.su@citrix.com> wrote:

> Highlights the improvements on marvin I made in these days on pytest branch:
> 1. Switch test framework from nose to pytest, while also maintain the back-compatibility
for existing test cases.
>    pytest is more flexible than nose, more enjoyable to work with.
> 2. Speed up test speed a LOT: It only takes 250-300 seconds for a single run for all
the test cases under test/integration/smoke folder, while it usually takes 40 minutes to run
before.
>   The speed up is coming from running test cases in parallel. pytest-xdist is modified
to fix the issue: https://bitbucket.org/hpk42/pytest/issue/175/way-to-control-how-pytest-xdist-runs-tests.
we have a lot of existing test cases have to run in sequence per test class.
> 3. Add a new Jenkins job at http://jenkins.buildacloud.org/job/fastsimulatorbuild/, which
only takes 22 minutes for a full cycle build&test.
>    A new VM is created on digitalocean: 4G memory, 40G SSD, and added into Jenkins.buildacloud.org.
SSD is life saver, it really makes big difference during build/test.
>    A new docker image is created, which has all the tools installed in order to build
and test: e.g. java/mysql/python/git/ installed.
>    A new Jenkins job is created to build and test periodically in every 20 minutes.
>
> So far, the Jenkins job works very well, if everybody ok with what I am doing, I want
to merge pytest branch into master later. With a quick CI in hand, we then can start to think
about how to add gerrit into our system.