cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Ritu Sabharwal <rsabh...@Brocade.com>
Subject RE: [Help] Help for setting up Vmware Cluster in CloudStack...
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2014 23:51:06 GMT
Hi Ilya,

I am trying to do this vmware integration with Cloudstack again but seeing some issues. Need
your help to move forward.

I followed the steps from the tutorial: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+Advanced+Network+Tutorial+-+Step+by+Step

I imported the system template from the location  http://cloudstack.apt-get.eu/systemvm/systemvm64template-2014-01-14-master-vmware.ova
by running the command

/usr/share/cloudstack-common/scripts/storage/secondary/cloud-install-sys-tmplt -m /mnt/secondary
-u systemvm64template-2014-01-14-master-vmware.ova -h vmware -F

Looks like the import did not happen successfully because the ova file created under /mnt/secondary/template/tmpl/1/8/
is of size 0.

I followed rest of the steps in the tutorial . All went fine, adding zone, pod, cluster, primary
storage, secondary storage but the system vms (Secondary storage VM and Console Proxy VM)
 are not deployed.

Now when I am trying to create a user VM, I don't see any templates available to create it.

Please help to unblock me with this setup.

Thanks & Regards,
Ritu S.

From: ilya musayev [mailto:ilya.mailing.lists@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 10:53 PM
To: Ritu Sabharwal; Hugo Trippaers
Cc: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Help] Help for setting up Vmware Cluster in CloudStack...

I'm in Sunnyvale. I've been trying to do a meetup and perhaps demo the whole vmware/cloudstack
setup, but i never really got to do this.

Hopefully, we can put something together for July or early August timeframe for the meetup.

Also, Router VMs have 1 Management and 1 Guest IP - just realized i missed it.

If i can give you a suggestion in the meantime, try to get your setup working with stable
4.3. Once you figure the process out - which is really not that difficult in my opinion (should
take 10-30 minutes at most - granted you have everything pre-set), then try it with master
codebase, and only then master codebase and your patch.

You did not mention if you are using VLAN tagging btw. Not that it matters greatly, but consider
using newer vSphere, you can download trials from VMware site, you can even do a nested setup
and run many vSphere CloudStack environments for dev/qa - which is what i've been doing lately.
You have 60 day trial, post that, you can reset the environment to be compliant with vmware
licensing model - needless to say, this can be semi or completely automated, depends how much
effort you want to put into this. I'd double check this with vmware rep to be on the safe
side.