cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Prevent force push on release and master branches
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2014 13:18:12 GMT
I think you could still delete remote tag and retag and push, instead of doing a force push?
But yeah, if this is needed we should keep things as it is.

I just wanted to bring this issue to everyone and see if we should do something about it.

On 01-Sep-2014, at 2:04 pm, Leo Simons <LSimons@schubergphilis.com> wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2014, at 3:15 AM, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
>> You can ask/make the recommendation that the foundation disable force
>> pushes across all branches of all repositories at the foundation. That
>> may actually make a lot of sense. But I don't know that everyone will
>> agree. (I tend to concur, I can't think of a good reason one would do
>> a force push).
>
> You know I am a little surprised force push is allowed.
>
> When Paul first looked into setting up r/w git, a major foundation concern was getting
a sufficiently auditable revision history (a strong point of svn), and IIRC quite some effort
was spent locking things down [1].

> The fact it _isn’t_ fully locked down right now is a deviation from the original plan.
Seems pretty likely to me there was a use case that required opening it up. I would guess
tag moving to be a major argument, which I _think_ requires forcing.

> cheers,
>

> Leo
>
> [1] http://apache.markmail.org/thread/7ztq2pwm6456zqmy

Regards,