cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cherry-picking fix that may change 4.3.1 schema
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2014 07:39:16 GMT

On Sep 2, 2014, at 11:28 AM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com> wrote:

> On 02-Sep-2014, at 5:07 pm, Francois Gaudreault <fgaudreault@cloudops.com> wrote:
>> I see. Well, I think we were impacted by that too, and we made the decision to move
on 4.4.1-snap (even if it's technically less stable?) and then upgrade to 4.4.1 GA (next week?)

>> I personally don't think pulling back DB changes in lower releases is a good idea
:S

>> But that's only my opinion :)
>
> I raised a concrete issue regarding 4.3.1/4.4.1 release and I would like to stick to
that only. I understand there are too many numbers, versions and branches to follow, so please
if you can try to understand the issue;

I think Francois understands the issue (in terms of the bug been talked about), and his solution
has been to move to 4.4.1-snap. It is a different type of solution than a solution at the
code/release level but if it works for him..fine :)

> This issue — https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-6756 requires that there
are some extra columns in the database to do book keeping when delete ips so you don’t actually
delete db/table rows.

> The issue above is fixed in an upgrade path from 4.3.0 to 4.4.0:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack.git;a=blobdiff;f=setup/db/db/schema-430to440.sql;h=226260804523c79e3ce3cfa3c407b5ac698d749c;hp=3b525c41a1befd94c5ffc324c357b566606a97d0;hb=ce6a53e;hpb=d0f806b3a486c58b033083fc57f39dd686e31750
>
> But, we already have 4.4.0 release and db upgrade paths are always in the next release
versions.

> So, there is no upgrade path from 4.3.1 to 4.4.0; as 4.3.1 version does not care about
4.4.0 schema changes. There is only an upgrade path from 4.3.0 to 4.3.1. So, the limitation
is that people won’t be able to upgrade from 4.3.1 to 4.4.0, because 4.4.0 is already released.

> If we release 4.4.1 before 4.3.1, we’ll have the same issue. So, we can put the fix
from the JIRA issue on 4.3 branch so the issue is fixed for 4.3.1. The fix will be in the
4.3.0 to 4.3.1 upgrade path. And, if we release 4.4.1 after 4.3.1, we can fix the upgrade
path from 4.3.1 to 4.4.1 on 4.4 branch such that

> The abstract issue is — we’ll have such issue in future, how do we fix it. I suggested
— we make a separate tool that does (rolling) upgrades.

So two things:

-How to fix now
-How to fix later (if we want to keep some type of long term release branches)

I am ready to release 4.3.1 so if we put an upgrade path from 4.3.1 to 4.4.1 , that's fine
with me, especially if there is precedent of database changes in the 4.2.x series.

> Regards,
> Rohit Yadav
> Software Architect, ShapeBlue
> M. +41 779015219 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com