cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Cherry-picking fix that may change 4.3.1 schema
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2014 16:20:48 GMT

On 02-Sep-2014, at 6:05 pm, Marcus <shadowsor@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think we're discussing the matter of policy, rather than this case. Can
> we make this one work, I'm confident you can, Rohit.  But as a policy, do
> we want to make changes to DB schemas in minor (bugfix) releases, and I
> think the answer being given is no. Perhaps that means the concrete
> solution is that we don't fix a known bug. Given our track record and that
> we're juggling 4.4.1 and the upcoming 4.5, I'm not entirely sure 4.3.1 will
> even get the time to be tested and released.

As a policy I think we should *not* be doing this, but we also need to support major releases
with minor ones as we have to understand that we’ve users using ACS in production.

FYI — we’ve been modifying databases in minor releases as well, checkout Upgrade421to430
and Upgrade420to421, we’re certainly changing databases. Just that we’re not adding new
tables, doing something drastic but we’re certainly doing db migrations.

4.3.1 will be unique as it will be released after 4.4.0, and from my $dayjob I know there
are some users interested in 4.3.1 and I don’t want to fork ACS for them or create a new
distribution.

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue