cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: Cherry-picking fix that may change 4.3.1 schema
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2014 13:34:39 GMT

On 09/02/2014 03:30 PM, sebgoa wrote:

> On Sep 2, 2014, at 3:20 PM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’m going through list of issues that affect 4.3.0 and 4.3.1 and cherry-picking
those which are already fixed elsewhere. This is the issue which would involve some modifications
to the schema: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-6756

>> @Sebatien: can you please take a look at this bug and cherry-pick if we want it in
4.3.1?

> I have always been of the impression that we should not have any schema changes in minor
releases even if it fixes bugs ?

I thought so as well. Since how are people going to upgrade to 4.4.1
from 4.3.1?

Wido

> But I am happy to commit this, if folks agree that we should do it.
>
>> It is doable either in the schema upgrade path 4.3.0 to 4.3.1 (sql file) or in the
upgrade class.

>> Since, we’re going to have 4.4.1 soon as well, it makes it tricky how to to deal
with upgrade paths. So, at present if 4.4.1 is out already, people on 4.3.1 (in near future)
won’t be able to upgrade to 4.4.1 etc. Should in such a case try to release 4.3.1 out first
and then 4.4.1?

> I soon as I see the smoke tests green on Travis , I will launch a vote for 4.3.1
>
>> What about if in future we have more such situations, we perhaps need to fix release
management process and policies, one way is to refactor out the db upgrade logic as a separate
tool that has a more quick release cycle like cloudmonkey?