cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Cherry-picking fix that may change 4.3.1 schema
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2014 16:04:12 GMT

If you’re not going to read anything because the thread has gone too long already, read
this:

4.4.0 is already out there, if we release 4.3.1 there is no way people can upgrade to 4.4.0
as the upgrade paths exist in the 4.4.0 release itself which does not know about 4.3.1

On 02-Sep-2014, at 5:48 pm, Will Stevens <wstevens@cloudops.com> wrote:
> @Rohit
> I think we are playing with fire here a bit.  DB changes should be made on
> major releases and we should try to avoid DB changes on minor releases
> because of this type of problem.  We have to keep the upgrade paths as
> clean as possible because we don't want people running into issues when
> they upgrade their prod boxes.
>
> I think we are going to have a problem with this one because I think the
> 4.4.1 branch is going to be released before the 4.3.1 branch, so the
> upgrade path will be broken.  My understanding is that the 4.4.1 branch is
> planned to be launched on Monday (Sept 8th), so I expect there will be a
> problem with the upgrade path if we implement this change in 4.3.1.  Thats
> my two cents anyway…

Sorry to break you this, the issue I’m raising here has always existed before. Just that
it was not widely shared and was silently fixed by developers.

This is also the first time that we’re planning to release a minor version from previous
major release. That is we already released 4.4.0 and now we’re going to release 4.3.1.

Database upgrade paths from previous releases are only added in next releases. And, you may
go look at the code to see that all minor upgrades do introduce some db changes and not just
read emails. Sometime they don’t have to put an explicit schema-AtoB.sql and their cleanup
files.

In any case, due to the way we release ACS. People won’t be able to upgrade from 4.3.1 to
4.4.0 anyway.

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue