cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <LSim...@schubergphilis.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Prevent force push on release and master branches
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2014 12:04:48 GMT
On Aug 30, 2014, at 3:15 AM, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
> You can ask/make the recommendation that the foundation disable force
> pushes across all branches of all repositories at the foundation. That
> may actually make a lot of sense. But I don't know that everyone will
> agree. (I tend to concur, I can't think of a good reason one would do
> a force push).

You know I am a little surprised force push is allowed.

When Paul first looked into setting up r/w git, a major foundation concern was getting a sufficiently
auditable revision history (a strong point of svn), and IIRC quite some effort was spent locking
things down [1].

The fact it _isn’t_ fully locked down right now is a deviation from the original plan. Seems
pretty likely to me there was a use case that required opening it up. I would guess tag moving
to be a major argument, which I _think_ requires forcing.

cheers,

Leo

[1] http://apache.markmail.org/thread/7ztq2pwm6456zqmy