cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Cherry-picking fix that may change 4.3.1 schema
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2014 14:48:33 GMT

On 02-Sep-2014, at 4:38 pm, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
> I agree - how will users upgrade from 4.3.1 to 4.4.x or later - schema
> changes aren't necessarily going to screw up the upgrade process, but
> certainly have a high likelihood of doing so. What happens when
> 4.3.0-to-4.4.0.sql runs? The table already exists - and upgrade will
> puke. 4.4.0 is already released; so not like you can roll that change
> back.

Since 4.4.0 is already released, people who will install 4.3.1 won’t be able to upgrade
to 4.4.0 as the 4.4.0 artifacts won’t have an upgrade path from 4.3.1 to 4.4.0; but this
can be only fixed (i.e. have an upgrade path) in 4.4.1.

For 4.3.1, we can still have the changes but 4.3.1 users would only be able to upgrade to
4.4.1 or later releases and not 4.4.0 because there is no path from 4.3.1 to 4.4.0 in 4.4.0
release.

This is true for all ACS releases, only the latest releases know and have upgrade paths. So,
what I also proposed here was to refactor the whole upgrade logic as a tool and maintain it
separately and this tool can perhaps has its own release process that is faster than the ACS
releases and this tool knows about all the releases and has the necessary upgrade paths.

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +41 779015219 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com