cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Clarification on github or and TravisCI
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2014 10:56:25 GMT

On Sep 2, 2014, at 12:31 PM, Stephen Turner <Stephen.Turner@citrix.com> wrote:

> So just to be clear, Sebastien, does that mean it's acceptable for non-committers to
submit their code for review via a Github pull request, instead of using ReviewBoard? (I hope
so: I think that will make the process easier and so encourage contributions).

It's doable but have not yet discussed and voted if we wanted to make it an official mechanism.

(so here, now you are confused :) )

> --
> Stephen Turner

already the case for the docs repo).

> In addition, TravisCI config files have been added to master and 4.3 (not yet for 4.4).
>
> https://travis-ci.org/apache/cloudstack/builds
>
> The Travis jobs, compile cloudstack and deploy the simulator to run the smoke tests.
>
> This is an *experimentation* to see how we can change our commit mechanism (pr vs. RB)
as well as add CI for every commit.
> We moved forward with this without a proposal or former vote to get a feel for it and
see if it could help.

> Basically, every pr from a personal fork of cloudstack will trigger a Travis job and
the PR will show the Travis job status.
> The main idea of course being that if the tests pass they we can merge.
>
> I personally see it as an addition to Jenkins jobs not a replacement and a quick way
to get free CI while we get our act together with a real infra.

> Comments and help (with tests and travis config) welcome, of course feel free to start
sending pr that way knowing that this is still an experiment.