cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Prevent force push on release and master branches
Date Sat, 30 Aug 2014 01:15:49 GMT
Projects do not have the ability to specify their own hooks. You
essentially get the same set as every other project in the Foundation
using git. The reasons behind this are that essentially projects would
have an incredibly divergent set of hooks, they would be
unmaintainable long term. Infra has had experiences in the past where
commit (or pre-commit) hooks were configurable and ended up causing
massive performance impacts; and were incredibly difficult to trace
down.

Most hook functionality (though not in the case) can be accomplished
with gitpubsub, which is what a majority of folks do who want
hook-like functionality.

You can ask/make the recommendation that the foundation disable force
pushes across all branches of all repositories at the foundation. That
may actually make a lot of sense. But I don't know that everyone will
agree. (I tend to concur, I can't think of a good reason one would do
a force push).

--David

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 3:13 PM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On 29-Aug-2014, at 6:59 pm, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
>> force pushes on master are already prohibited.
>> The other branches allow that though.
>
> We already know this. The discussion is;
>
> 1. Should we put git hooks to prevent force pushes on all branches? (people would be
still able to delete any remote branches though, which is another issue IMO that you can delete
any remote branch other than master)

> 2. Any reason we should not do that, for example if anyone has a good reason to use force
push?

> Regards,
> Rohit Yadav
> Software Architect, ShapeBlue