cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Prevent force push on release and master branches
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2014 16:59:55 GMT
force pushes on master are already prohibited.
The other branches allow that though.

--David

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 7:57 AM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I found by accident that you can force push on branches on our ACS/ASF repo.
>
> So, I’m concerned that anyone could do a force push, sneak in changes on ACS/ASF branches;
opensource projects have had issues with people changing histories, putting backdoors and
whatnot, so I would like to avoid that. For example, I would like us to disable force-push(es)
on our git repos to avoid a situation like  Jenkins had:

> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/jenkinsci-dev/force$20push/jenkinsci-dev/-myjRIPcVwU/mrwn8VkyXagJ
>
> So, I requested the infra team [1] to disable force pushes on release and master branches
because that made sense and I was told that they don’t allow force pushes on master (relief!)
but not on release branches because it would be hard to track the release branch names. I
asked them if we should disable force pushed on all branches at all and if they people want
to do it, they can do it in their own private/github repos/forks.

> So, I’m told that we need to discuss this issue and only after a decision/voting they
would implement such a change? What do you think, what are the pros and cons of disabling
force pushes and should we do it?

> Regards,
> Rohit Yadav
> Software Architect, ShapeBlue