cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [ASK PMC] Restriction of using ACS with non-oss libs?
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2014 14:18:33 GMT
Dropping private@

All libraries (including our own) include restrictions in their licensing.
The default build path contains nothing that isn't Apache-licensed or
more lenient (MIT, BSD, etc) in compliance with the ASF's policy on
3rd-party libraries.

The same policy does allow non-default build options to contain
licensing that is more restrictive, and we do not allow automated
download. E.g. you must source and provide those libraries yourself.
This (at least in theory) requires explicit action on the part of the
user consuming those libraries, and hopefully will have them reviewing
the terms of the license in the process.

IIRC, Wido's repos contain a mixture of both oss and noredist
libraries, but that is not a project managed repository.

--David

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 7:30 AM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does using non-oss packages violate or impose any restrictions on users for commercial
or non-commercial usage, since they come with jars which are not-necessarily using Apache
license?

> If so, do we have any documentation on this for users as the build page does not note
any such restriction for users:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/How+to+build+CloudStack#HowtobuildCloudStack-Dependencies
>
> @Wido: Are the CloudStack packages that you’re hosting on: http://cloudstack.apt-get.eu
oss or nonoss and are they built out of released tags or branches?

> Regards,
> Rohit Yadav
> Software Architect, ShapeBlue
> M. +41 779015219 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com