cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Animesh Chaturvedi <animesh.chaturv...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] git workflow
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2014 06:40:35 GMT

> (Like most of the internet...) I strongly believe using cherry picks as the basic
> tool for (release) branch management is one of the worst choices you can
> make.
>
> But. Please. Can. We. Just. Stop. Cherry. Picking!!! :-D [1]

[Animesh] Leo I don't mind moving to merging branches rather than cherry-picking for technical
reasons, but I am not sure cherry-picking is to blame entirely. Using it all the time caused
the pain. When Chip and I were running releases we started cherry-picks when we got closer
to RC. I did not see cherry-pick as a big pain for 4.2 and 4.3 where I was the RM.  RM cannot
scale if they are spending most of their time in cherry-picking or merging branches into release
branch.  It needs to be done when they  are reasonably confident that the churn will be limited
otherwise RM will get drowned in all these requests (be it cherry-pick or merge branch).
And also I have used cherry-pick with -x flag which appends "cherry-picked from ...'  to the
original commit message in order to indicate which commit this change was cherry-picked from.