cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: branch hotfix/coverity-fixes
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2014 13:15:10 GMT
Hey,

On 06-Aug-2014, at 3:10 pm, Hugo Trippaers <hugo@trippaers.nl> wrote:

> On 6 aug. 2014, at 15:06, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Hugo,
>>
>> +1
>>
>> On a totally different issue, if we’re going to adopt git-flow let’s not use
bug fix branch names with the prefix “hotfix/“ because as the per convention it’s for
already released versions and for serious production issues. Instead, I recommend that we
can either go with “feature/CID-XXXX” as all features should have bug ids and bugfixes
should have them too.

> Feature sounds a bit strange to me for bugs coming out of static code analysis. Typically
they are bugs in released versions (unless we really fix the lot of them ;-) ) The seriousness
is up for debate and varies issue by issue.

Oh, the CID abbr looked like you’re saying CLOUDSTACKID.

>> Lastly, we can in-fact use custom names in git-flow so we can use something like
“bugfix/ID” like “bugfix/1234” so we don’t even have to add the "CLOUDSTACK-“
prefix and it’s more readable. The commits though should have the full name “CLOUDSTACK-xxx”
to be picked up by ASFBot.

> These are not jira issues, but coverity issues. ASFbot doesn’t now about them.  They
are for now manually tracked in the coverity interface.

“hotfix/" sounds like the branch will have a serious/production issue getting fixed.
How about you give it, bugfix/coverity/xxx ?

Regards.

>> Cheers.
>>

>> On 06-Aug-2014, at 2:39 pm, Hugo Trippaers <hugo@trippaers.nl> wrote:
>>
>>> Heya,
>>>
>>> How about we name the branches for coverity fixes after the relevant CID?  Something
like /hotfix/CID-xxxxxx.  That would make it very easy for everyone to track which coverity
fixes are tracked where and who is working on which CID.

>>> The name hotfix coverity fix is a bit too generic and will probably not help
developers pinpoint where an issue was introduced.

>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Hugo
>>
>> Regards,
>> Rohit Yadav