cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache CloudStack CloudMonkey 5.2.0 (take #3)
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2014 09:16:42 GMT
Hi,

On 22-Aug-2014, at 10:22 am, Sebastien Goasguen <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rohit, I am not sure what you tried to do with the url setting.
>
> This is not entirely backward compatible because I need to create a profile anyway (add
profile under core then move the user section under the profile name..etc).
> If I keep host, path etc…it dos create a url key automatically but it seems to be hard
coded to http://localhost:8080/client/api

When cloudmonkey starts, it assumes the defaults in case any key is missing in the config.
This issue you’re seeing is because cloudmonkey does not know which config to pick the new
one of old one and what to do if both old and new ones exist.

> I was under the impression that it would read existing host/path/port/protocol keys and
form a a new url value…

If we had host, port, path, protocol in the config file and the server profile section as
well there won’t be any way to know which one to pick. To fix that, we don’t write or
read these values from config file, but we still support the set command on them which internally
sets the url parameter.

This was also done so that any of your automation/script that are still using set commands
on these options won’t fail. And now cloudmonkey will not fail and exit if there are any
missing keys but it would add them in the config and let you know.

> It does work with a properly set config file…so still +1 though in a perfect world
this new version would re-format my config file properly including forming the profile section
out of the user and server sections.

I think backward compatibility is best maintained at interface level so we are not taking
away any (set) options which was the fix.

If you’ve any solution on how to handle the case where both old config and new config are
present in the config, let’s fix that? There were couple of other minor corner cases, supporting
them would have added some technical debt to the code so I avoided that and I think the impact
to users would be minimum. Please advise?

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +41 779015219 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com