cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Adapting git workflow for release branches
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2014 19:06:43 GMT
Min,

On 18-Aug-2014, at 8:25 pm, Min Chen <min.chen@citrix.com> wrote:

> Rohit,
>
> I think that Edison and I have clearly indicated our objection reason in
> our previous email. Based on current cloudstack quality, RM needs to have
> control over what commits to be in release branch to get a release at
> least having some quality. With this proposed model, how can you guarantee
> the quality of a release? We cannot just talk about changing a process
> without resolving this important concern. What is your solution to this
> concern?

In my proposal we’re not saying people “can" commit directly to release branches, I suggest
you re-read the proposal. I cannot emphasis this enough that this does not try to solve the
issue you’re raising (which deserves a thread of its own), so the expectation from everyone
is to stick to the agenda and comment on it.

Min, I’ve said this at least four times now I feel like people are just skimming emails
:P If they are, may I deserve their attention to read my email with full attention like I
do when I read theirs?

We’re not giving power to everyone commit directly on release branches, so we’re not changing
the status quo around this issue so there is no point of questioning “release quality”.

This sort of workflow is something used at several companies such as Google and Facebook which
has turned out to work for them.

If you find any issues or challenges with this I would love to hear from you. At the end of
the day as an individual wearing your Apache hat it’s your call and right to votes and opinions
so we respect your votes but it would be only encouraging if they are backed by a good reason.

Lastly, I don’t have the “unicorn" solution that will guarantee quality of a release and
I think perhaps it does not exist.

This proposal does not aim to solve the “release quality issue” but to:

- encourage involvement of contributors during release: My personal opinion is that we’ve
a major problem that unless a commercial distribution’s releases is based on ACS release,
many of the “sponsored” developers won’t participate much in opensource ACS releasess.
How do we solve it? I guess we need some way to increase participation, by increasing participation
we’ll have much better release quality than perhaps that will less involvement.
- a guideline to reduce conflicts and make sure no commit is missed or misplaced
- give a flow of change (baseline protocol) on how to maintain multiple release branches

Min and others, I would welcome if you’ve any issues or challenges you can find with “what”
the above will try to implement.

Cheers.