cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rayees Namathponnan <rayees.namathpon...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] git workflow
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2014 20:22:48 GMT
How frequent we can planning to merge from develop to master ?  during release ?

Regards,
Rayees

-----Original Message-----
From: Prachi Damle [mailto:Prachi.Damle@citrix.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 11:51 AM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: RE: [VOTE] git workflow

Sorry if this is already discussed, but few areas that are unclear to me with this process
are:

- does every fix, however minor it be(say a signle line), needs to be developed in a separate
branch? And then we have to merge these individual branches to develop for every fix?
- In that case will direct check-ins to 'develop' branch be not allowed?
- If not, if CI fails on develop branch, how will one know what caused the failure? Was it
some direct checkin Vs some feature/fix merged? Will we revert all the small feature/fixes
that were merged to develop branch upto the CI baseline? If yes, wont the developers that
did not cause the break get penalized unnecessary?

- Lastly, why can't this process be implemented on master? Why are we introducing another
branch for the same purposes which the master branch usually serves?

I am -1 on this.  We should not start implementing this until all processes are clear.

Prachi