cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Prachi Damle <Prachi.Da...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: 4.5 RM
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2014 18:32:55 GMT
+1 Agree that we need to have some form of CI to control basic quality

-----Original Message-----
From: David Nalley [mailto:david@gnsa.us]
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 10:16 AM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: 4.5 RM

> IMHO we should not even release 4.5 until we have a agreed upon:
>
> -what our issues are and why we released 4.4 and 4.3 late.
> -taken action to resolve those issues
> -guarantees that 4.5 will be on time
>
> If we don't do that, I don't even know why we are putting ourselves through the pain
of a release schedule.

So I've been trying to give this some thought. Here's my current line of thinking.

The issues with late releases are not a function of our release process per se; but are instead
a function of our development process.
CloudStack is a relatively large codebase. It has a lots of points that interact with each
other, and it's moderately complex.
Development moves forward and at least happy-path testing is done for new features, but the
range of options is so large that testing everything is a bit difficult. When someone makes
a merge request; I suspect few people do much looking. Understandable, it's a boring task;
and really looking doesn't tell us much except for style and egregious errors. We've rarely
done mandatory testing of feature branches before they are merged in. If you want to ship
on time, you must ensure that we are vociferously guarding the quality of the master and release
branches; that we can verify programmatically that a commit or merge doesn't break things.
We must insist on automated testing being added.

So I've said all of that to say that I think that ship has sailed for 4.5. We are well past
feature freeze; and we didn't really have any gating functionality. We frankly have very little
idea of quality of whats in master right now. It's certainly worse than 4.4. So now we'll
enter code freeze, we'll try and play catch up and fix all of the things we discover that
are broken. And invariably, we'll be late again.

If you want to solve this problem; my personal belief is that its really is tied to CI. Efforts
around Travis are interesting and perhaps are a piece of that puzzle. Discussions around running
CI are important as well, but I truly believe that we need a gating function that prohibits
commits that increase our level of untested code or code that fails to pass testing. I've
seen some other projects using pull requests in github, and then using the github pull request
builder[1] for jenkins to verify that every PR works. I know we've talked about gerrit previously,
and perhaps that will work as well.

[1] https://wiki.cloudbees.com/bin/view/DEV/Github+Pull+Request+Validation