cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <LSim...@schubergphilis.com>
Subject github pull requests (was: Re: 4.5 RM)
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2014 10:04:10 GMT
On Aug 19, 2014, at 11:06 PM, Sebastien Goasguen <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 19, 2014, at 4:38 PM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Sebastien,
>>
>> On 19-Aug-2014, at 10:17 pm, Sebastien Goasguen <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The fact that we basically have none, pushes me to argue for a change in git
workflow (see several other threads). because it will be way faster to start "gating" commits
using a new agreed upon workflow (even though it would be a very artificial gate) than waiting
for CI.

>> I would love to know your experience of using Github pull requests for the ACS doc
repos, and if it will be a good idea to use it for the main repo as well?

> Using github pr for the docs repo has been a breeze. Of course it's a totally different
"code" than cloudstack.

> The way this work is that people is that people fork on github and submit pr, we turned
on github pr notifications (you have seen some of the emails). We don't merge via github though,
we pull the patch by hand and apply it "git am" then push.

Cool.

Just want to point out that this gives the committer a _bit_ more responsibility to verify
that there is an actual Contribution (as per the apache license and/or CLA) being done. When
someone sends a patch via e-mail or to an apache.org system that’s pretty clearly implied,
but for github, you do have to pay a little bit of attention [1].

Also note you can do pull requests without github, see `git request-pull --help`. Of course
the UI isn’t as pretty, but I’d suggest allowing it just to deal with “zomg github is
down”, and to be ready to receive any future patches from Linus [2] :-)

cheers,

Leo

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-156
[2] https://github.com/torvalds/linux/pull/17#issuecomment-5654674