cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Solving the cherry-picking problem
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2014 08:39:53 GMT
Hi,

I think the following can solve the cherry-picking problem but it needs everyone’s support
to work:

- Once a release branch is cut out, all the committers and contributors “should” only
work on the release branch. It can be discussed if we want to work on it directly or branch
out on it and work in that branch and have RMs to merge that branch on the release branch.
IMO if we work directly on the release branch we potentially reduce a lot of RM’s work.

- Only (new) feature development and related enhancements/bugfixes can land on master directly
or merged from their respective branches.

- The RMs or anyone would keep merging the release branch with fast forward only on regular
basis:
      git checkout master
      git merge --ff <release-branch>
      <fix any conflicts and git commit -as etc.>

This way ‘master' gets all the good stuff from release branch and the release branch gets
“more attention”.

If we somehow can reduce the release cycle timeline/length, the divergence between master
and release branches can be potentially less causing less conflicts/issues when following
the above.

Thoughts, flames?

Regards.

Regards,