cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Hugo Trippaers <h...@trippaers.nl>
Subject Re: branch hotfix/coverity-fixes
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2014 13:10:38 GMT

On 6 aug. 2014, at 15:06, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com> wrote:

> Hi Hugo,
>
> +1
>
> On a totally different issue, if we’re going to adopt git-flow let’s not use bug
fix branch names with the prefix “hotfix/“ because as the per convention it’s for already
released versions and for serious production issues. Instead, I recommend that we can either
go with “feature/CID-XXXX” as all features should have bug ids and bugfixes should have
them too.

Feature sounds a bit strange to me for bugs coming out of static code analysis. Typically
they are bugs in released versions (unless we really fix the lot of them ;-) ) The seriousness
is up for debate and varies issue by issue.

> Lastly, we can in-fact use custom names in git-flow so we can use something like “bugfix/ID”
like “bugfix/1234” so we don’t even have to add the "CLOUDSTACK-“ prefix and it’s
more readable. The commits though should have the full name “CLOUDSTACK-xxx” to be picked
up by ASFBot.

These are not jira issues, but coverity issues. ASFbot doesn’t now about them.  They are
for now manually tracked in the coverity interface.

> Cheers.
>

> On 06-Aug-2014, at 2:39 pm, Hugo Trippaers <hugo@trippaers.nl> wrote:
>
>> Heya,
>>
>> How about we name the branches for coverity fixes after the relevant CID?  Something
like /hotfix/CID-xxxxxx.  That would make it very easy for everyone to track which coverity
fixes are tracked where and who is working on which CID.

>> The name hotfix coverity fix is a bit too generic and will probably not help developers
pinpoint where an issue was introduced.

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hugo
>
> Regards,