cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] git workflow
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2014 10:27:57 GMT
Hi,

On 01-Aug-2014, at 1:59 am, Sheng Yang <sheng@yasker.org> wrote:

> Work need to be tested, but create one branch for every bug seems over
> doing. Branch in Git suppose to use with substantial changes. I don't think
> anyone would like the idea to have 2 commits for every bug fixes(one merge
> commit and one real fix). And it's not the case in the original model as
> well.

I understand what you’re saying but it’s not the only way to merge;

It’s good to start off in a bug’s own branch, there is no need to simply merge the branch
to target/master/develop branch, instead you can do a squash merge (resulting in one commit
and linear history) or cherry-pick as applicable.

> Patch can be tested by other ways, e.g. upload patches to test system, or
> introduce e.g. gerrit, which can integrated with Jenkins to run test on
> specific review commit, without commit it to the repo, which I really like
> to recommended to enforce the testing. Simply branching out wouldn't mean
> you would test it.

There is another thread on speeding up validations of your checkins - http://markmail.org/message/w2hqmrfpfrhsife6

For small fixes where developer is sure it does not affect the system (say a change in UI,
string fixes, refactorings etc.) he may skip smoke tests but for his a lot of work he may
run it often. Automated systems will eventually find the bug but it’s good idea to validate
your changes before you push them to master/develop etc.

Regards.

> --Sheng

Regards,
Rohit Yadav