cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Adapting git workflow for release branches
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2014 17:55:54 GMT
tl;dr? hope you read it;

On 19-Aug-2014, at 7:10 pm, Min Chen <min.chen@citrix.com> wrote:

> I will hesitate on this "No enforcement" approach in the flow. I bet that
> without some kind of enforcement, based on past experience, after one

Stakeholder will always care. The system should be optimistic to allow things in and not to
punish in advance.
That’s how many scalable opensource project such as Linux, Firefox and our own Apache works
(people over code that is).

If you’ve any ideas please share. We’ve to find a “non-strict” enforcement to get
best of all things and I don’t have a solution right now to suggest.

“Strict enforcement” won’t be scalable anyway, hackers always find way around gaming
the system.

Unicorns, Santas and bug-less code perhaps don’t exist IMHO so may never guarantee code
quality but only improve over time. Even things like pacemakers, realtime systems used in
mining, surgery, aerospace, mars rover etc; openssl (heartbleed) have bugs and issues. This
is not to say that we should not have code reviews, other processes and automated build/CI/smoke-tests
are “not” needed, they are needed but they “should" come only gradually. I also think
improvements are better severed in small nibbles than a one big main course.

In my past startup, last year, I helped them introduce a non-strict code reviewing process
and what it did was not to scare anyone but slowly and gradually everyone started using code
reviews and that became a process now. What I learnt was that people like slow changes (don’t
put the frog in hot water), processes should be effortless and invisible (you don’t have
to think much on how to do it, like say driving a car or touch typing on keyboard), and a
cultural change is best implemented without enforcement. For example, in a many countries
people don’t honk i.e. the culture even if no one gets a ticket for honking which is my
point we need an understanding, a guideline, a protocol to implement a culture not an “enforcement”
or team of police.

> release, we will come together to discuss flaw in our flow again:) Sorry
> if I am too pessimistic on this.

To introduce an enforcement would mean take away a committer’s privilege to commit. If you
have some ideas start a thread.

IMO “pessimistic approach" is not a good approach — you don't ban or restrict people driving
cars just because of accidents or ban the Internet just because there are things you don’t
like on it, or put people in jail just because they can commit a crime in future. I would
want an open and transparent workflow/protocol/guideline that is agreeable to all/most of
us and that does not impose any restrictions.

Cheers.

> Thanks
> -min
>
> On 8/19/14 10:00 AM, "Rohit Yadav" <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 19-Aug-2014, at 6:48 pm, Min Chen <min.chen@citrix.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In that case, we should call out this procedure
>>>
>>> If (you¹re a committer) {
>>> Go create a hotfix branch and ask RM to pick it up
>>> } else {
>>> Go upload your patch and get RM to review your request from reviewboard
>>> }
>>>

>>> in your proposal. I don't want people to have a misunderstanding that
>>> with
>>> this proposal, RM is not needed anymore. Actually, RM is MORE IMPORTANT
>>> with this proposal.
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> Also, we should also call out the enforcement plan for this procedure.
>>
>> Subjective. All committers have privilege to commit so enforcement will
>> be unnecessary, instead if you find an issue with anyone/anything you
>> raise it privately or on public dev ML just like we do it now.
>>
>>> What happens if somebody still directly commits to release branch after
>>> it
>>> is cut? Ideally, based on this proposal, after RC is cut, we should only
>>> see branch merge/cherry-pick done by RM. If not, RM should revert it to
>>> enforce the flow.
>>
>> At RM’s discretion.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

>>> Thanks