cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Adapting git workflow for release branches
Date Sat, 16 Aug 2014 21:32:02 GMT
Hi Edison,

Thank you for your email, I suggest you read my reply to Min’s email as well: http://markmail.org/message/vytkbqhdjmhewonl

Let me begin by saying that perhaps I was unable to capture everyone’s imagination with
my proposal, I’ll work on my writing skills and try to keep them short and objective.

I think I’ve an answer to satisfy your worries but if at the end of reading this email you’re
not satisfied, instead of going back and forth on this thread we could talk on phone, Skype,
GTM etc. (whatever is convenient for you, my contact details can be found in my signature).

Now, this voting thread (and also in the proposal thread) has nothing to do with "enforcing
quality", but has:

1. Change of flow: Get people more involved with release branches: get their stuff to release
branches first via a hotfix/bugfix branch and then merge -ff (or cherry-pick) to master, feature
branches etc.

2. Baseline protocol: Give a guideline for contributors on how to fix something that spans
multiple releases and branches, for example starting with oldest version/release (firm) to
latest and then to master (soft) etc.

Since, I’m not trying to solve any “quality control” issue, I cannot take the responsibility
of trying to fix anything around it as well. Therefore, it will be only fair if you could
re-read what we’re voting on and return back with your unbiased, individual and objective
opinion.

On 16-Aug-2014, at 9:10 pm, Edison Su <Edison.su@citrix.com> wrote:

> How RM will do the control, that's something we could discuss. I know, current model
is not scale, as RM needs to manually cherry pick commits into release branch. The way I thinking
about, is all the commits put into release branch, must be put into review board, or gerrit,
must be passed by CI and reviewers, then the commits can be put into release branch.

Good ideas, I think you should start a proposal thread and help with actionable items. At
present, I’m not trying to address the aforementioned challenges because it will be tricky
and I don’t have a solution. This will be important for us but will be challenging, IMHO
will be time taking and call for:

- getting everyone’s agreement
- a change of culture
- requirement of infrastructure
- expecting everyone learning to use the new system and workflow
- workflow enforcement and policing

I think we do have (some) CI solutions, I may be wrong but I recall Hugo made some build job
to trigger on all branches starting with “hotfix” or some prefix, so we do have such things.
This week, Ian and Sebastien found a cheap way of having a CI for testing with simulator on
TravisCI which is free (as in cost).

> For above reason, I am -1(binding) on your proposal for now until we solve the quality
control problem.

Thank you for your vote, it’s important that we don’t make a mistake. But since the reason
mentioned had nothing to do with the voting proposal I would welcome your reconsideration.

Cheers,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +41 779015219 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com