cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <LSim...@schubergphilis.com>
Subject Re: must read (git.git workflow)
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2014 10:09:19 GMT
git.git workflow is a logical superset of gitflow with shorter branch names. All the basic
practices are the same. Unsurprisingly, perhaps :-)

The key difference is the use of long lived stable branches rather than per-release stable
branches that wither & die off.

I would guess it’s a little easier to understand coming from current cloudstack practice.

This setup does require a little bit more git-fu to recover from mistakes, and periodic rewind/rebase
of integration branches (git has a ‘proposal’ branch if I remember correctly that is `git
reset` every now and then). Like most git man-pages it assumes you understand git pretty well
:-). Of course only one person needs to do that.

I guess that may also be a good fit for cloudstack which is already used to the release manager
announcing these kinds of coordinated shifts and doing branch maintenance.

cheers,

Leo