cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] git workflow
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2014 23:28:36 GMT
Comments in-line;

On 31-Jul-2014, at 11:03 pm, Alena Prokharchyk <Alena.Prokharchyk@citrix.com> wrote:

> Done, updated the wiki page with my comments. Copy/pasting here:
>
> Open items:
> 1) Which bugs can be submitted to develop branch directly.
> Document http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/ mentions
> that the
> *hotfix branch should be created for the blocker/critical bugs in the
> current production release. What about bugs happenning in the *release(the
> one that hasn't been released yet)/*develop
> branches ? Should we fix them directly in those branches, or should we
> branch out off the *release
> branch, fix the problem, and merge the fix to *release?

As per nvie;

once cut out release branches should only have bugfixes. So, bugfixes can directly land on
release branch and then cherry-picked or merge to the develop branch.

For bugs on develop branch, the commits can land directly on the develop branch or can be
worked in a branch checked out from develop and when done merged back.

In my opinion, for any case developers should not work on any of the branches (master, release,
develop) directly but checkout branch and work on it and merge back (or cherry-pick or squash
merge) to respective branch only when their work is complete, with unit tests and validated
using unit testing and smoke tests (BVT).

> We should decide:
> for which bugs the hot fix branch should be cut, and which fixes can go
> directly to *develop/*release branches. This criteria has to be defined in
> the doc, and be based on the a) bug severity b) number of people who work
> on the bug - if more than one, then we cut the new branch c)
> feedback/review is needed for the bug d) anything else?

What you suggest is fine. I think couple of areas which can qualify for bugfixes (hotfixes)
would be related to security, database changes, systemvms, agent, hypervisor, network, storage,
anything that could be considered a blocker.

I’m not sure but I think adopting nvie could possibly affect our release process, I would
let PMC and experienced RMs to comment on this issue and if they would like any modifications
to the release process?

On twitter I asked @nvie if he would have any change in the nvie model, he has a short reply:
https://twitter.com/nvie/status/494870892917563393

Regards,