cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: 4.4-forward usage
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2014 16:29:01 GMT

On 30-Jul-2014, at 6:11 pm, Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well Rohit,
>
> I was thinking we should not use 4.4-forward anymore at all (or create
> a new one) Merging back from it at the moment costs to much conflicts.
>
> I'd say we work on branches taken from 4.4 on a per fix basis and
> merge those that are proven.
>
> makes sense?

Yes :)

I was asking if we’ll have future -forward branches such as 4.5-forward, 5.0-forward etc
or we will never see that kind of workflow again?

Regards.

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 5:37 PM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>> Hi Daan,
>>

>> On 24-Jul-2014, at 6:20 pm, Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> People (especially test developers),
>>>
>>> please stop using 4.4-forward and switch to 4.4
>>>
>>> If we do a code freeze for 4.4.1 make a new branch per fix, the model
>>> of a -forward branch is fundamentally broken and has cost me a few
>>> hours of merge trouble over the past two months.
>>
>> Since we’re discussing about fixing our git based workflow can we conclude that
we should be using the -forward branch in future from now onwards?

>> So, we work until a release is done (by a tag) and keep working on the same branch
instead of a -forward and then cherry-pick, merge it back again to the parent release branch?

>> Regards.
>>

>>> thanks,
>>> --
>>> Daan