cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Carlos Reátegui <create...@gmail.com>
Subject Moving SVM range
Date Fri, 25 Jul 2014 21:55:50 GMT
Feeling good about moving my basic network deployment from one subnet to another, I would now
like to move the System VM ip range and expand the guest VM range.

I had been sharing the previous subnet with others and only had from .150 up through .249.
 The new subnet is all mine.  As part of the re-IP I moved the hosts down to .30-.36.  Now
I want to move the system VMs from .160-.174 to .50-.64 (BTW what is a good number of IPs
to reserve for system VMs?).  After that I want to bring down the Guest VM IP start from .175
to .100 or so.

I was planning on stopping all instances and system VMs prior to shutting down the MS and
making sure in XenCenter that they were destroyed.

My initial thought is to script iterating through each of the IPs in the current SVM range
(i.e. .160-.180) and do a global replace with .50-.64.  This would take care of most tables
like: host, host_pod_ref, nics, op_dc_ip_address_alloc, vm_instance.  Since I am not expanding/contracting
this range of IPs it seems simple enough.

Then for the expansion of the Guest range seems like I need to edit vlan.  But then the tricky
one appears to be the user_ip_address table.  Seems like it has pre-defined rows for all IPs
and their current state (i.e. allocated or not).  Will CS automatically fill this in for me
if it notices a discrepancy with the range in vlan?  Do I need to create the missing entries
myself?  Can I use uuidgen to generate uuids?  Can I insert the new ones after the existing
ones (or should they all be in increasing ip values)?  If I put them in order I need to change
the id but what about the mac_address column.  It looks like that value matches the last octet
of the MAC in the nic table so I should probably leave the existing ones as is and that column
won’t be ordered.

any other thoughts?

thanks,
Carlos